Mama's Loves

Mama's Loves

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Potty training weekend......

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times....it was.... potty training weekend at our house the past few days.  I recently obtained a fabulous copy of an e-book which detailed this crazy 3-day potty training plan that I put into effect on Friday.  The book specifies that you will basically be on lockdown for the weekend, so I planned ahead and literally canceled (or no-showed) on EVERYTHING!!  The main concept of the book is FOCUS on your potty trainee, meaning...you are basically on them like white on rice.  Me and Frankie are literally the best of friends after spending 36 hours straight together!!

Day 1 - went pretty well.  We had her throw away all her diapers, which caused a little strife, but she let us put on her panties and then proceeded to hold her pee for like 3 hours with an absolutely full bladder.  The e-book said to "watch for signs" that your child has to go.  Frankie was crossing her legs and everything trying to hold in her pee, but when I'd take her...she wouldn't go!  Finally, I think it just got to be to much...she wanted me to carry her and she even started almost crying.  I knew then that she really had to go, so I ran her to the bathroom and she went - a bunch!!!  We had a few minor accidents that day, but I stupidly followed the advice of the e-book that she would be able to go through naptime with just her panties on.  She started crying so loud only minutes after I had checked on her and I went in to find her lying in a puddle!!  The day continued going well and even ended with a cherry on top when Frankie pooped in the potty!

Then came Day 2 - we had more accidents this day!  I was a frustrated, horrible person this day.  The main issue we had was that Frankie would go in her panties....but just a little dribble....like not enough to have drip down her legs, but enough to wet her undies....and then stop.  Can you imagine the bladder control?  Think of a time when you needed the bathroom super bad...now imagine just dribbling out about a second of all the urine you had to get out and then stopping the flow and going on about your day for another oh 15 minutes or so with your STILL full bladder!  So anyway, then a bit later she'd wet her undies again, but when I'd take her to the potty, she still wouldn't go!  Finally, she'd do the above-mentioned crying and wanting me to carry her until I knew she just couldn't hold it anymore and then she'd finally go!  We dealt with this issue all day on Day 2.  After her nap, she hardly drank anything so we went outside with some colored bubbles I had bought.  Another stupid move on my part...these things were a total effing MESS!  They dribbled all over our patio and actually stained it.  Of course I gave Laynie one color and I used the other one so we now have BOTH purple and pink splotches all over.  I got so concerned about Matt getting mad about that that I totally let Frankie just run all over the year without doing a "potty check".  Finally, I helped her go up the ladder to the slide and got a feel of her undies which were of course wet.  We came back inside and I started getting Laynie and Frankie both ready for bed.  I finished up with Frank and sent her to the living room with Nana while I washed up and combed Lane.  Next thing I hear from the living room..."Jess!  Frankie peed on the floor over here!!"  Great.  Turns out the wet undies from outside were just one of her little dribbles.  The full flow came out on the floor!  I was hollering and hooting about how I wasn't going to continue this stupid program for about an hour, until I finally wised up and got real.  I gave Frankie more water, got Lane and Gab to bed, and just spent some one-on-one time with Frankie.  We ended on a good note when she went pee one last time.

Day 3 - not ONE accident today.  I took her and she peed every single time.  Her bladder muscles finally learned what to do.  By the end of the evening, she actually came and told me, "Go potty." and when I took her in the bathroom...she went!  I'm still a little shocked!  So happy I stuck with it, though...onward and upward from here!  So, so proud of my Frankie, and of Laynie for being mama's "helper" the whole weekend. 

Thank God it's over, and yes...it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment