Mama's Loves

Mama's Loves

Friday, May 6, 2011

Patting my own back.....

As anyone who has kids knows, any family outing can turn suddenly from a fun-filled time of pure joy into the deepest depths of hell in a few minutes.  Happily, I can report that I have had two (count them...TWO) successful outings to birthday parties with all three kids and just little old me to handle everyone.  I am really coming into my own as a mom, I think, and learning to not stress the small stuff.  I think it's because I literally can't....I don't even have time to do so.

Outing #1 was to our friend Olivia's party.  This one was a good test run, as it was at my good friend's home who is another fellow mom of three girls (shout-out to Lauren!!)  The only mishap happened when I had to take Laynie to the bathroom, during which I got distracted on my way back to the backyard by who knows what and heard a cry I knew could only be Frankie's.  It seems she had walked right into the patio table because she couldn't see it due to a sun glare.  Other than that, I silently praised myself for bringing everything I needed to feed Gabster, getting food for both girls and actually getting Frankie to eat, and even making Frankie wear a napkin bib to avoid getting herself dirty with dripping watermelon.  Those were rookie mistakes I made when I only had two kids...now I'm a pro!!  (Yeah, right...until the next time I forget something and/or get to the scene of an accident too late - you'll see what I mean, below)

Outing #2 (and far more complicated) was to Chuck E Cheese to celebrate Laynie's friend Carmella's 6th b-day.  I wasn't planning on bringing Gabi to this shin-dig, as I wanted to have FUN with Frankie, but since Gabi is on a bottle-strike...she had to come with.  I was so proud that I got Frankie all strapped into a high chair and brought Gabi her Bumbo.  I felt like a real mom as I whipped Huggies out of my diaper bag to clean up pizza and frosting and oatmeal from my girls' faces.  Sure, I lost Frankie for a few minutes, and had to leave her and Laynie to fend for themselves when I had to rush Gabi into the bathroom for a pooped out diaper...but we all survived...and actually had fun!  I thought ahead and brought in the stroller, and even though I got some crazy looks, I strolled Gabi all around the place until she fell asleep.  I gathered tickets and fed them one by one into the ticket machine so we could scram once the party was over.  I was awesome, and so were the girls!

Tonight Nana and I had another crazy outing (with three....they almost all are this way!)  I had promised Laynie I would take her to the Bellagio garden.  I decided we'd all go at the last minute, and though I'm glad I made that decision...it was rough going at first.  Trying to avoid traffic on I-15, I took the airport exit and ended up going through the acutal airport instead of bypassing it.  I then took a series of wrong turns and missed opportunites until we ended up going to eat first..it was getting too late!  We got to In-N-Out at a crazy busy time and my poor mom had to stake out for a table while I went to order food.  We made it through the meal though (I even NURSED whilst eating...go Jess!) and had a good time at the Bellagio.






Other highlights:

Frankie started gym class at a real gym this week!  She is so athletic and daring that I think she's going to thrive!  Within the first minutes of walking into the class though, she wandered over to these little parallel bars they had and toppled over them, landing smack on her face.  I saw this happening from afar, and arrived on the scene seconds AFTER she fell...doh!  She also had her first fall from her swingset this week.  What sucks is that me and her dad were both outside, but thought the other one was watching her.  She didn't get hurt really, though....this time!  We were lucky, and I vow to be more vigilant when she is climbing up that thing!

One of my favorite moments ever happened one night this week when daddy was home.  Me and him and Laynie and Frankie all squooshed into Laynie's bed to sing our lullaby "Johnny's Daddy" together.  Frankie just LOVED it.  She sat up after we sang and said "Friends.....singing." When I asked her who her friends are she said, "Mommy, Daddy, shee-shee, Fa-fee" as se pointed to each one of us. Me and daddy just awwwwed and hugged her. 

We also set up the good old tent this week and told spooky stories when daddy stayed home on Monday.  Frankie was so cute holding the flashlight up to her face and saying "Once...ty-eene" for once upon a time, and then "Beee...ennnn" for The End.  Nothing in between, just once upon a time and the end.  My kinda story!!!

Laynie is finally coming into her own as a big sister.  She guides and holds Frankie's hand wherever we go, and has really been entertaining Gabi.  The other day she was playing like she was going to tickle Gabi while Gabi was on her swing and Gabi laughed like it was just the funniest thing!  It is the best thing ever to see this whole "sister" thing finally happening!  Today Laynie put stickers all over Frankie's legs telling her that they were "badges".  I'll be darned if I could get Frankie to take them off..even for our outing to the Bellagio!  I kinda had to sneak them off one at a time, but she was so proud that she had gotten those! 

Frankie has taken to saying EVERYTHING that Laynie does, and Laynie takes full advantage of it by making her say silly phrases that she just makes up like "Poky wawa"....WTH?!?!?  Frankie has been roaming the house saying this for weeks now and I did not know what she was saying.  Luckily I asked Laynie and she said it was just "something she had made up."  Great.  Laynie also has made Frankie say "tushie" and "poopie" more times than I care to admit.  It is so cute, though!  Again, I am just happy to see the sisterly bond so I kinda let some stuff slide if they are having fun.

Gabi has officially started playing in her Jumperoo and boy does she love it!  She continues to be the best, most loving and happy baby ever.  Only when she is truly tired can I not coax a beautiful smile out of her!  It is readily apparent when she is hungry or tired, because she is so happy otherwise that we know something is wrong when she starts being a crank-monster.  Her little crying face looks so much like Laynie's!  I literally am not going to be able to tell these two apart in their baby pics.  She is constantly trying to sit up!  She loves watching Yo Gabba Gabba episodes, and she still loves to EAT my little chunk!  Daddy has started calling you his little "Chubby", and it is so cute because you ARE and we adore you!

We had a wonderful time last weekend at our church's fair.  Daddy had to work before and during it at times because he was performing community service there for a "no passing" ticket he got in Hoover Dam when Mar passed away, but he still had plenty of time to play with us, and I was so happy we were all together...and at a church function!  God has his ways of answering prayers, I think.

I'll have to make an effort to blog more often so as not to end up with a novel everytime I make an entry!!  Mother's Day this weekend, so I will try to write after the weekend with my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment